For years, the agencies and organizations that comprise the Eastern PA CoC have worked to provide housing and services to those experiencing homelessness. Through these agencies and organizations, thousands of individuals and families are provided with shelter and assistance to find new homes and regain stability in those homes. Still, homelessness remains a pressing issue for too many in our region.
Feeling a sense of urgency and a commitment to end homelessness in our region, the Eastern PA CoC adopted a Five-Year Strategic Plan to Reduce and End Homelessness on June 19, 2017. This plan embraces bold goals and describes various concrete strategies for achieving these goals, which include reducing and ending homelessness among various subpopulations.
Through the Strategic Plan, the CoC has set the following goals to achieve by 2022:
- Reduce the number of people experiencing homelessness by 50%.
- End chronic homelessness (achieve/maintain functional zero).
- End Veterans homelessness (achieve/maintain functional zero).
- Reduce all homelessness among families with children by 50%: achieve/maintain functional zero for unsheltered families with children; achieve/maintain functional zero for all families with children fleeing domestic violence.
- Reduce homelessness among unaccompanied youth experiencing homelessness by 75%.
- Reduce the duration of homelessness to an average of 47 days or less, with the long-rage goal to reduce the average to 30 days or less.
- Set a path to end all forms of homelessness.
To achieve the bold goals listed above, the CoC has identified the several strategies to pursue, including:
- Prevent and divert homelessness
- Streamline and coordinate access to housing and services
- Expand the continuum of housing options
- Expand & align resources
- Increase the economic security of households
- Increase capacity for data collection & analysis
- Engage in advocacy to increase support and sustainability
The Strategic Plan includes action steps for each of these strategies to help guide the work of the CoC.
To end homelessness in Eastern PA, we need your help! To learn more about the Eastern PA CoC’s Strategic Plan and how you can join our effort to reduce & end homelessness, contact Lea Dougherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.